2011年12月29日星期四

After Christmas, all well bred children write thank you notes

There is no such thing as the common cold. Each one is different and rather interesting. Right now I have a headache and a sore throat. I am hot and I am cold. I wonder how many days this will last. I have heard seven to 10 days is the usual run.

I hope you are faring better down there in Arizona as the New Year 2012 swiftly approaches. It was good talking with you on Christmas Day from Pittsburgh. That was a wonderful day watching James, 11, and Carmen, 8, rip open their Christmas gifts.

I do believe their parents will be sitting them down to write thank you letters. I tell the grandkids that all well mannered children write thank you notes.

My flights out to Pittsburgh and back were a piece of cake. Everything on time. When I flew out of Grand Forks on Dec. 20, the pilot said we were cleared and No. 1 for takeoff. It kind of amused me because there wasn’t another plane on the runway.

And I tell you one thing, Shirley. If there’s anything you don’t want to watch, it is the loading of bags into the belly of the plane. They give them a heave ho and a toss. Yikes. Somehow, everything gets through and I presume mostly OK.

All in all, it is great flying out of our new airport terminal here in Grand Forks. And Delta Airlines personnel were courteous and sympathetic as they changed my return flight from Denver earlier in December because of a death in the family.

Snow has been scarce around here. So, instead of snow sculptures this week during Winter Fest at Turtle River Sate Park, they made clay sculptures Wednesday. Today’s schedule out there includes a winter scavenger hunt.

The Buena Vista Ski Area in Bemidji has been advertising great conditions. They make snow daily!

And here in Grand Forks, avid tennis players have been on the outdoor courts this week. Christmas Day found UND tennis player Callie Ronkowski doing what she most loves — playing tennis. The temperature was almost 50 degrees. Callie and her dad, Keith Ronkowski, were able to spend the morning on the court at the entrance to Lincoln Park Golf Course.

That is where Callie, a Red River High School standout, got her start with lessons from Tim Wynne. She played on six state champion tennis teams and was state individual champion for two year with Tim Wynne as her coach. She now plays at UND for Tim’s brother, Tom Wynne.

Oh, and I should tell you, Shirley, that Callie wore a fur cap for her Christmas Day tennis match.

The UND basketball team has its work cut out for it as they play Kansas on the last day of the year. The women hoopsters are spending the New Year weekend on the road, too. Tonight they play Idaho at tournament in Montana.

Love from your sister, Marilyn, with a red nose and bleary eyes on the west bank of the frozen Red River of the North.

没有评论:

发表评论